Sunday, March 21, 2010

Garden Forks, Birds and Bed 2

Dan Started it
Granny dared us
Ribbit has the cutest little one
Here are my....

Garden Forks....
Click on photos for a larger view...



You know it's spring when you have a pair of birds building a nest in your morning glory vine. They were busy all weekend flying around the yard gathering materials for their nest. If I was spending too much time near the nest they would sit up on the fence and chrip at me. I guess I won't be cutting back the Morning Glory this year.



Bed 2 is now completely planted...



In stead of potting up the cucumbers I planted them in bed 2 in six out of nine squares of the back row. I also planted some cucumber seeds to replace the ones that didn't make it. The bed will stay covered for the next few weeks to keep them warm. The night time temps are in the low to mid 40's with day time temp ranging from the mid 60's to low 70's



I have a wide range of plants growing in this bed. Cucumbers, purple and green broccoli, parsley, onions, lettuce, and cilantro.




Each square was treated to some home made compost, all natural fertilizer
and a deep watering.







I have been over wintering some onions but I don't have much hope for them as they are not looking so great.



Happy Spring!

7 comments:

  1. Everything (but the poor onions (-; ) are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma - Thanks. I hope the onions pull through. If not I have some planted in bed 4 that are looking really good. I saw your post on EG blog. If you need corks I have lots. Happy to send you some. Just let me know and I will give you an email address to contact me on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liisa - all of the onions I planted from seed perished also, but the ones put in the garden last October as sets are doing fantastic. I love the red colored lettuce varieties, as in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EG- The red lettuce is called "Sea of Red". It's very good too.

    Granny - The little guy is the hard worker. The other two are retired. I was thinking of hanging them somewhere in the garden as garden art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gidday Liisa ... nice garden! Here's my fork! http://kiwigomes.blogspot.com/2010/03/me-and-my-pitchfork.html
    Take care ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kiwi! Thanks for stopping by. Love your fork thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete