Saturday, June 12, 2010

New Fence - One Casualty and Displaced Bumble Bees

The old fence was full of character and will be missed....



Last Monday at 8:00 a.m. the old fence started to come down....



Within an hour we could see into our neighbor's tennis court. The fence project spanned over four homes on our side and only one property behind us. We live in the ghetto compared to the house behind us. :-)



View from the roof...



When I got home from work on Monday I found one casualty. One of the acorn squash was pulled out by it's roots when the trellis was bumped by one of the workers. Not knowing how long it had been that way I replanted it and watered. I gave it two days but no luck bring it back to life.



New fence started going up on Tuesday....



By Wednesday they were more than half way done with our section....



When I got home from work on Thursday this is what I saw from my living room.



It doesn't look so bad in the photo above but it is one big massive wall that it is going to need some serious decorating. Out of the three fences we have surrounding us two are 10 feet tall. I'm starting to feel like I live in a compound. One thing is for sure... I have lots of privacy.

On a sad note... when I was watering the other day I saw a bumble bee looking for the nest she had built in the old fence. She was not alone. I have seen up to seven bumble bees in one season making that old fence their home.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, you guys are spitting distance from your neighbors! I'm seeing trellises and beans and cucumbers all over that beautiful wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ribbit, the houses around here are so close together, we usually have to close the back doors when the neighbors start their barbeque, because of the fumes.

    I will miss that old wall, ugly as it was. It did have character though. It was a home to a handful of bumblebees, and the squirrels, possums, and racoons used it as a freeway. lol

    The redwood monolith should settle down some in the looks dept. as it starts to grey.

    Bill (Liisa's husband)

    =8-)~

    ReplyDelete