Tuesday, February 7, 2012

2 Inch Soil Blocks and Greenhouse Power for Daisy

Before I left for work this morning I prepared some soil for the 2 inch soil blocks. Preparing the soil is just placing some soil into a container adding water to it to make a slur. Letting the soil mix sit for an hour or more ensure the soil is completely wet. I should mention here that I did not make my own soil mixture. I bought the soil from PottingBlocks.com. If you want to make your own soil mix you can find the recipe here.


Making the 2 inch soil blocks takes a little more muscle. You want to ensure you have all blocks filled with packed soil. If you are doing it correctly you will see water oozing out the top of the blocks. In this photo you can see that I only have water oozing out of the two middle blocks. I need to put more pressure on the two ends.


The block is now full and ready to place in the tray.


Not bad for my first try.


 I planted four each of turnips, broccoli and cauliflower.

You can see a clear difference in the two soil mixes
for the micro 20 and the 2 inch blocks

Six out of 20 radishes have already started to sprout. Once they all sprout I will plant them into bed 3.



These next two photos are for Daisy over at Daisy's Kitchen Garden. She asked me how I was running power into my greenhouse.

Here you go Daisy. I plugged the power strip into a heavy duty power cord. You know the ones that come in bright orange and you can find them in green too.

Power strip zip tied to bottom of shelf.

Board placed on top shelf  to prevent water due to condensation
 from dripping on to the power strip.

I will keep you updated on how the soil blocks are doing and if I'm having any issues.

4 comments:

  1. Again, great looking soil blocks and wonderful advice on allowing the soil to soak in water and making sure the water oozes out the top. I don't have a lot of upper body strength, so when I am making soil blocks, I stand on a step stool and push down allowing my body weight to help charge the blocker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Muse. I'm going to have to put my soil tub lower so I can put my weight into it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Liisa,for answering my questions by dedicating your post to me and putting a link to by blog!:-)
    It is good to know that you can use a power strip with those power cords. I use a green power cord but only have one appliance connected to it. I will venture by adding a power strip to it. I like how you secured them too and placed a board over it for moisture protection.
    I love using my potting blocks but find that making my own soil mix is more work, I like the idea of only having to add water and voila...done(like you did.) but I think I just need to come up with an efficient way of having all the ingredients accessible in containers under my greenhouse bench. Thank you again Liisa, and Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy, You are very welcome! I'm going to try and make my own soil at some point. I'll be sure to post how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete