Saturday was spent cleaning up beds 2, 3 and 4. Raking out leaves and pine needles and turning the soil.
|Bed 2 before|
|Beds 3 and 4 before|
We have only had a few days of rain this Winter so I was expecting the beds to be really dry. I was happy to see that only the top few inches were dry. Weatherman says we are in for a day of rain on Tuesday. I have been holding off watering in hopes of getting some rain soon.
Today was spent trying my hand at making soil blocks and can I just say why didn't I do this sooner?
|Soil blocking station|
I'm starting with the micro 20. Here goes....
Watching the video before hand really helped to get down the technique.
Wallah... first block of 20. I think a tray with a small grid would work better for the micro 20's but this will do just fine.
Once the tray was filled I added the seeds by using a pencil dipped in water.
Tray 1 with spinach, carrots and lettuce.
To keep track of what I planted and where I made a soil block tracking grid.
I also drew out beds 2, 3 and 4 so I can start figuring out where everything is going to go.
Trays were placed on heat mats. Since these first two trays are cool weather crops as soon as they sprout I will remove them from the heat mats and give them a few days in the greenhouse and then plant out into the garden.
Next I will be making the 2 inch blocks.... stay tuned....