Friday, January 20, 2012

Day Avocado Update

I know a some of you have been toying with the idea of buying a Day Avocado.

My Avocado arrived on March 31, 2010 in a 6 inch pot at just under 2 feet tall.

By June 18 2011 the tree was in a 16 inch pot and standing at 3 feet tall.

Today still in the the same 16 inch pot is now standing at 4 feet and we are just about at the two year mark. Will I get fruit this year or next year? I guess we will have to wait and see. This has to be one of the easiest fruit trees to grow. Just don't fuss over it and it is happy.




My question now is, how do I prune this tree or do I even need to at this point? Time to Google it.

Update:  How to prune an Avocado

4 comments:

  1. Your tree has grown wonderfully! I find it hard to prune back a tree even when it's the best thing to do. I have a bay tree that I have had for years. It always puts out a lot of growth when I prune it. I will have to check my notes. It may be time to prune it again.

    Let us know how you make out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to prune or not to prune... that is the question.=)

    if i could grow avocados i would be the happiest girl in the world. i hope you get fruit this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin _ I did some reading last night. So I will not be pruning my tree yet. There is a chance it could set fruit this year and I don't want to chance cutting off the buds. Pruning is only necessary for shaping the tree. So no harm in letting it do it's thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli - Look into the Day Avocado you may be able to grow it in your area in a pot as I am doing. You will need to bring it is if the temps drop down below 28F for long periods of time. We had two weeks of temp in the low 30's and high 20's and mine came through it with no problems at all. They are really easy to grow and don't like to be fussed over. Check out http://www.logees.com

    ReplyDelete