Monday, March 16, 2009

Fighting Back with Net... and Lace?

Well I've come to the conclusion that I have carrot flies!

While taking my daily walk through the garden after work I walked over to a container I had planted some carrots seeds in last year that never came up. The seeds had overwintered and started to sprout about four or five weeks ago. When I was looking at the carrots I saw two flies hanging out around one of the carrots that was just above ground.

I hadn't planned on leaving the carrots there to grow. I'm going to pull everything out of the container (including the soil) and put in a few strawberries.

I'm hoping luck was on my side and the carrot flies were unaware that I had planted four squares in bed 1 with the tomatoes and one square (so far) in bed 4, which is only five feet from the container. I'm not worried about bed 1 since it is completely enclosed in clear plastic to keep the tomatoes warm. I didn't cover the one square in bed 4. But after seeing the flies fly off the carrots I thought I'd better do something to cover my seeds to deter them.

Here is what I came up with...

Cute and functional...









I may pick up a few more at the dollar store to keep on hand.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent deterrent! (AND quite cute!) Now - shoo fly shoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,

    "shoo fly shoo"
    Too funny. I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Is that a lamp shade? It should work very well! That's the thing about having a garden....the bugs will find it everytime.

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  4. EG,
    ha ha... It does look like one but no it's not a lampshade. It's a plate cover to keep bugs off your food when you are eating outdoors. They come in 12 and 18 inches.

    Yeah... I'm starting to see a lot a different bugs in the yard now. Could be I'm just more aware of them now.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete